If you have grown your business to the point where you are ready to hire your first employee, congratulations! the BLOQ parq (tBp) celebrates every milestone reached by passionate and persistent entrepreneurs. We are here to support you and have compiled a list of fundamentals to keep in mind when expanding your company. These steps will have you welcoming your first employee in no time.
1. Identify the role and job description
Knowing what you want and need will allow you to determine who will be the best fit for the position you’re trying to fill. Elements to prepare and consider include:
- A business brief that covers what you do and who you serve.
- A description of the core responsibilities of the role.
- Specific requirements the candidate must meet for consideration.
- Preferred qualifications for the position (although not necessary).
2. Go into the interview prepared
You’ll want to create a list of thoughtful and relevant questions in advance. Some questions to include:
- What are your top three qualified skills for this role?
- What first project would you like to tackle and why?
- What makes you a better fit than others?
- Have you worked with a newly launched entrepreneurial business before?
- What are your salary requirements?
3. Hire for their potential
With a growing preference from consumers to buy from ethical brands and socially conscious entrepreneurs, you will want to search for someone who has a strong interest or passion for causes or missions similar to yours. Envisioning how to marry their passions with their skills can prove extremely beneficial for both your business and your employee.
4. Develop an onboarding process
Once your new employee has signed on the dotted line, it is crucial to have a robust onboarding process. With the onboarding process, it is necessary to get your employee set-up in your payroll system, schedule training sessions, and one-on-one time with you to review elements of their new hire packet. You’ll also want to do everything you can to make the newest member of your team feel welcome and excited about the great things that are to come!
Approaching the process for hiring your first employee may feel overwhelming, but remember that it’s a positive sign—your business is growing! Our innovative, customizable micro-retail and office units will be the perfect location to start the next part of your entrepreneurial journey.