“There’s no better way to inform and expand your mind on a regular basis than to get into the habit of reading good literature.”
– Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Entrepreneurship is a dream for many people and it’s easy to understand why. The need for freedom and flexibility, the ability to achieve personal and financial growth, and the desire to pursue a passion. So, what can those of us that want to control our own destiny add to our strategy for success? In addition to finding a mentor, reading is a valuable resource that is often overlooked. As a community designed to enhance meaningful conversation and collaboration amongst entrepreneurs, theBLOQparq (tBp) recognizes the importance of being properly informed. Gaining relevant insight leads to inspiration and improved business leadership skills. In fact, our tBp team has done a little reading of our own along the way, and we have 10 book recommendations not to be overlooked by aspiring and current entrepreneurs!
1. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This book’s relevancy has proven to be timeless. Intended to help you thrive in the complex and competitive, modern day landscape. Carnegie shares six ways to make people like you, twelve ways to win people over, and nine ways to change people without resentment rearing its ugly head. The description alone makes it easy to see why over 15 million copies have been sold.
2. Start With Why by Simon Sinek. This book will help you to uncover the deeper meaning behind your business and what serves as your inspiration. Speaking of inspiration, Sinek provides insights on how to inspire people to take action – a crucial skill set for every entrepreneur to possess.
3. The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek. Another must-read by Sinek, this book builds upon what James Carse, the author of Finite and Infinite Games, said about different types of leaders – those who play to win and those who play to keep playing. Exploring the idea of game theory, Sinek helps the reader to discover how the mindsets of successful businesses achieve long-term success while building lasting value and healthy, enduring growth.
4. Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine by Mike Michalowicz. Every entrepreneur looking to make money and experience long-term growth should own this book. It provides practical advice and a clear process to follow in order to operate a profitable business. With the perfect combination of intellect and humor, Michalowicz delivers a financial foundation upon which business owners can stand.
5. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Corey. A classic among the rest, this book remains a recommended favorite. It presents a principle-centered approach for solving personal and professional problems. This book educates people on how to be more intentional and effective with their behaviors in order to get closer to the ideal of being a ‘success’ in life.
6. The Hard Things About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz. This book offers brilliant advice on building and running a startup. You’ll find practical wisdom for handling challenging problems that business schools fail to cover. Revealing how things aren’t always as they seem, Horowitz uses his own life experience to describe what it takes to become a successful entrepreneur.
7. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero. People spend too much time dreaming and not enough time doing what needs to be done to make those dreams a reality. Sincero, a #1 New York Times Bestselling Author and international success coach, serves up stories, advice, and exercises that will help you to realize your full potential.
8. Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable by Seth Godin. A strong focus is placed on entrepreneurs recognizing the changing business trends, when change occurs, and the best strategies to uncover new ways of doing business for increased productivity.
9. The Lean Start-Up by Eric Ries. Eric Ries teaches you about the nature of the current business world and identifies loopholes entrepreneurs can explore. The ability to penetrate these loopholes is what secures the long-term success of the business.
10. Disciplined Entrepreneurship by Bill Aulet. This book can change the way you think when launching a company. The pages reveal how to create a successful startup through developing a pioneering product and breaking down the processes into a proven 24-step framework.
These amazing entrepreneur-focused books all have relevant nuggets of information that can serve as stepping stones as you continue taking your business to new heights. tBp celebrates the entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to learn and grow. While we build our own entrepreneurial vision, we welcome you to browse the library of resources we have compiled for fellow groundbreakers just like you.